Pages

Koo Kee Yong Tofu

With Chinatown just a ten minute walk from the office called for a quite a number of trips either to Chinatown Point or to Chinatown Food Street. I particular like what they have done to close of the street and convert it to a sheltered Food Street. Though I doubt the authenticity of the food served, and if it was really good, this one little shop Koo Kee that sellings Yong Tofu stood out for me.

Especially after an almost non-sheltered walk to Chinatown, being able to enjoy some air-con is a welcome relief. Koo Kee, though with a small shop front was definitely very inviting as it looked so clean. I found out from a colleague that the brand has been around for very long time and yes, it was a must to try out how good the food is. 

I use to enjoy Yong Tofu, but after tasting how fresh it can be when you buy from the markets, I was put off by Yong Tofu stalls in the food courts. How fresh the Yong Tofu is, is determined by the freshness of the tofu. With Koo Kee, you can be almost certain that they made the Yong Tofu themselves, which is served with their speciality noodles topped with mince pork, which in itself is fantastic, the noodles being springy and al dente. Another dish we had was the steamed mince pork. Though I was not a lover of this dish, I thought for what it is worth, it was definitely very well prepared and executed, a kind of meal that you would want to return home to. 

I liked Koo Kee so much that I returned for another round within the week. I do hope to see more of such branches across the island, authentic good food, simple menu, traditions that you hope that would last for generations to come.

Koo Kee Restaurant 
21 Smith Street
Singapore 058935
Opening Hours: 
Mon-Thur 10:30am - 10:30pm
Fri-Sun 10am - 11pm
MRT: Chinatown